Friday, August 20, 2010

Naming stars (real ones in the sky, not Hollywood . . .

By Lonnie Cruse

Did you know that for a fairly reasonable fee, you can name a star out there in space? You can name it after yourself, someone you love, or maybe even a Hollywood star that you admire. Whatever. You do this on the Internet and after they have your money in hand, the company sends you a certificate showing that you named the star and a map of where it is. You most likely won't be able to stand in a darkened parking lot and point to it. You won't be able to see it. BUT it's there and you named it! I know all this because I participated in a star naming several years ago. If you are interested in this, do a search and you'll find the site.

We all know that we won't be here forever. Most of us want to leave something of ourselves behind. Children, grandchildren to continue our family line. Something we've accomplished that we will be remembered for. A book published, an award won, a job well done. Something to show we were here. Leaving a footprint.

Yet when all is said and done, there are millions of people who do contribute to this world, who make it a better place to live, and their names are never public knowledge. No star is named for them. Their family may not even be aware.

Isn't that what it's really all about? Leaving this planet better than we found it when we arrived? And doing as little damage as we can to it or the people who live on it? Just something to think about.

That said, what kind of footprint are you leaving behind? What would you like to be remembered for? What are you doing to accomplish it?

5 comments:

Elizabeth Zelvin said...

Lonnie, I've heard that if you want to leave your mark on the world, have a child, write a book, plant a tree. Check, check, check. :)

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

If having a child does it, I had 5, and from them have come 18 grands and 11 great-grands. Guess I've made a huge mark.

I hope people will remember me for being someone who cared about others.

Marilyn

Patg said...

Talk about standing and staring. Oye! And what happens to these theories if Earth is just a womb and we will be expelled to go out and go forth???
Better go get my star named. I'll consider it planting my stake and claiming real estate.
I wonder if that's how the extra new arms of the galazy they've found got the name Norma?
Patg

Lonnie Cruse said...

Check here as well on the children, books, trees, etc. Hmmm, better go name that star! Thanks everyone!

lil Gluckstern said...

It's interesting that you posted about this today. I was shopping today when I ran into a young man I worked with when he was a child. He looked wonderful, and I thought how neat it was to see him all grown up. I will leave children, and trees, no books, I'm afraid. But I will have touched, and been touched, by many people, which is delightful, and humbling. Hopefully, I will leave a gentle footprint on this earth.