Monday, March 31, 2008

The Torment of Trivial Pursuit

by Julia Buckley















Last night my son asked if we could play Trivial Pursuit; this is ironic, since the last three times we played as a family we all ended up in bad moods, and last night was no exception.

My oldest son hates it when he doesn't know the answers; I think he got that from me. Generally, because the questions vary so wildly, I will get some sort of obscure query about the Bataan Death March and will fail to answer. Then my opponent will get a question like this (which is actually a question in one of the versions of Trivial Pursuit): "Which fictional mouse, created by Walt Disney, has become an American Icon?"

This will drive me crazy. I never get the mouse question. Last night, when I landed on "literature," I was thrilled to think I might actually earn a chip. My question, however, was about a comic strip--one I'd never heard of. Is this how we define literature, I wondered? Then I looked back at the box and saw that the brown, in its newest version, stands for "the printed word." I failed the comic book question, and then my nine-year-old got the question about Emily Dickinson, so we were both furious.

And yet in a few weeks, we will all want to play Trivial Pursuit again. Why? I've been thinking about this today, and I can only assume that it's about the mystery. That perfect question is out there, and I will know the answer next time! And so it lures me like the siren of board games, and I falter again and again. I did not know which eastern state has the largest display of collectible spoons. I was not aware that Pete Rose achieved his 4000th hit right before his 42nd birthday.

But I did get one terrific mystery lover's question: "What is the more politically correct title of Agatha Christie's TEN LITTLE INDIANS?" I answered, I was correct, and my family decided I had some value as a player.

So do you know? Or should I try the mouse question? :)

What's the most annoying question you ever got--assuming that you are trivial enough to play trivia games?

(fair disclosure: this was a blog I wrote about a year ago, but we DID play Trivial Pursuit again this week, because it was our spring break.)

8 comments:

Sandra Parshall said...

Julia, you can salvage one triumph from this experience: you have raised a child who, at the age of nine, was able to answer a question about Emily Dickinson. What more could an English teacher/writer want from life? :-)

P.S. I knew the answers to the first two questions you posted and felt quite proud of myself, then promptly hit a wall.

Anonymous said...

I think the title being sought is AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.

The most annoying round of Trivial Pursuit I remember was when I was posed the question "What is the Spanish word for navy?" I sighed and said "Armada. Oh, I don't know." The person posing the question said "You what?" I said "I don't know." The questioner said "Are you SURE?" I said "YES! I DON'T KNOW!"

Of course, the answer was armada.

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Today I looked at this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Xbox Live Tournaments[/url]
They say you can play online Football game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Last week I found this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Xbox tournaments for money[/url]
They say you can play online Fight Night game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Good Day!!! poesdeadlydaughters.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent resourceful websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. poesdeadlydaughters.blogspot.com rocks!

Anonymous said...

The author of poesdeadlydaughters.blogspot.com has written an excellent article. You have made your point and there is not much to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not argue with: A person with two first names cannot be trusted. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

Hallo und Willkommen in unseren Sex-Chat.


Unser Sex-Chat gibt dir die Möglichkeit kostenlose aktsexy und vieles mehr,sicherlich auch Live Dates
Hier im besten Sex-Chat findest du kostenlose aktsexy Live Dates
Du suchst Live Dates , mit Sicherheit bist du hier genau richtig.Ok,stellt sich die Frage,worauf wartest du?
Blind Date nackte hausfrauen ,anmelden .
Du suchst jemand aus Bern, oder Deutschland, oder Heidelberg , oder von Zug, oder von Hard? Sicher kein Problem.!

Anonymous said...

Herzlich Willkommen hier im Sexcommunity.


Der Sexcommunity bietet dir die Möglichkeit alte mädels und jedemenge andere Sachen,unter anderem erotische Rollenspiele
Hier im besten Sexcommunity findest du alte mädels Aufregend chatten
Du suchst Live Dates , sicher bist du hier genau richtig.Also,auf was wartest du?
sexuelle Vorlieben erotik sex ,anmelden .
Suchst du jemand aus KlagenfurtamWörthersee, oder aus Oberhausen, vieleicht aus Volketswil , oder von Solothurn, oder in Völkermarkt? Mit Sicherheit kein Problem.!